Monday, November 6, 2017

One Last Story on How Life Sucks After Breast Cancer

Okay, maybe I have been in a rut because I have been stuck at home after knee surgery because I can't drive. Or maybe because I have a cold that I am obsessing on crappy lives after cancer. Or maybe the internet gods had their stars align and all these stories ended up on my laptop in the same time period. But I hope this will be the last one for a while.

Here's the story of a young woman who lost both her husband and her sister because of her lengthy cancer treatment.

"“The reality is that probably four out of seven days I’m in bed,” explains the 39-year-old, who lives with her mother at Bundall.

“I’ve had my left hip replaced. My right hip is headed the same way. The pain is excruciating and I’m on some heavy duty pain relief. My lungs have been affected. I had my gall bladder removed last year. I’ve developed cataracts."

Kate Carlyle is a former radio personality from Brisbane Australia. In the past eight years she has gone through two breast cancer diagnoses and a leukemia diagnosis which required a bone marrow transplant. The bone marrow transplant is what cost her a sister - her sister could donate but became pregnant and couldn't donate at the last minute - causing a long term rift which continues today. She was saved by an anonymous European donor.

The stress of her cancer roller coaster cost her her husband. She is not the first to lose a spouse over the stress of cancer diagnosis. But it just makes things suckier. During cancer treatment is you are not at your best to deal with marital issues.

So yes, life after cancer can be very sucky. They don't tell you all this. Yes you can get divorced or have a long term rift with a sibling without involving cancer treatment. But when you are coping with a significant health issue you don't need the other crap.

So as Kate says in the end: "“I love being alive and if that means I have to battle through at times, so be it.”"

Being alive is the most important thing. It is the goal of any cancer treatment - to still be here for all the little things in life - birthdays, anniversaries, marriages, friends, family, change of seasons, butterflies,...

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...