Tuesday, August 22, 2017

New Research Says

How many times when you are talking to your doctor have you heard them say 'new research says...' or 'recent studies have shown....'? I get it all the time. And I am not sure I like it. Or how it makes me feel...

I realize being a doctor or other medical professional takes a lot of work and study just to get there and then they need to constantly work at staying up to date so of course they are reading research and following studies. But when they shove it in my face by saying that the new research told them this, I feel like they aren't practicing medicine but reading research.

I realize a lot of new information comes out for doctors through medical research - that's how they learn more. But I realize research isn't everything. I think of as 'flat'. A research project is done with a goal to prove or disprove something and it is done with a certain pool of people that meet specific criteria. I have never been eligible for a single research project (a/k/a clinical trial) because my medical background is too complicated. It doesn't reflect the real world where people may have multiple ailments, allergies, genetic make up, etc. Doesn't all medical research always end with 'more research is needed'?

A medical professional needs to keep up on the latest research but they also need to learn how it works in the real world with real patients. We are people with real ailments. I don't want statistics or research quoted to me. I want real medical advice which incorporates the research and my medical history and needs.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...